It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Loving Hands Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.

By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, Click here to join our community today!

If you are already registered you will now need to log in to be able to see the whole forum!

Post subject: Muddy Footprint Bulgaria
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:00 am 
Site Admin

I have had a message from Nancy from muddy footprint replying to my question how we can help more. Her reply is below. What a desperate situation these folk are living in. So can we help? Hats, scarves, gloves, socks for adults?
I've had a quote for less than £25 to send 15kg directly to the village.
I will try to add the photos later when I can get on the laptop, they are quite shocking the conditions people are living in :(

Subject: Re: Thank you
From Nancy LearAdd
To [email protected]
Date Today 07:56
Message Body
Hi Kate

Great to hear from you .

We are linked up with a Christian church now who have 32 churches through the poorest parts of Eastern Europe they are in the picture with some lads who have just been kitted out in clothes we have taken to the distribution room.

What we need here are jumpers for the winter , sox hats for older people as well as children. We have old people who live alone here on pensions that are less than 50 quid a month who often die in the winters here ..The young have all gone to other parts of Europe so mostly its the old and the Roma who are left .. There are no factories so no jobs. The winters here are barbaric for sure ...

We went to a village to dispense with some clothes the pictures I have sent is a family of 14 living in two rooms in a broken house, there is no toilet or water. The water is brought by the children in a bucket. The toilet at the moment is a hole in the ground at the bottom of the garden .. there are grandparents and parents then 10 children ... I have sent you pictures of the house . The kids in the picture have just been kitted out with donated clothes from the UK.

But the whole village is the same. One side of the stream you have one class of people and the other side young people running bare foot, no toilets and mud everywhere ... If the press would only come here and see how bad it is there would be a lot more help for sure ...

Our son is getting married in the States to a Canadian in two weeks so we are off there for a month.. Our daughter has been buying second hand boots and shoes at stalls so we have 50 kilos to bring back with us .. Air France have agreed to fly them back free

Thankyou Kate so much

Loving Hands HQ and Shires Group (Stafford) member

Post subject: Re: Muddy Footprint Bulgaria
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

Here are the photos

And one from their website

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:47 pm 

Oh my goodness - those poor people. We surely must be able to help them somehow. That is a good quote for 15kg, Kate - that would make a good sized box of warm clothes. Do you want us to send donations direct to you?

Edited to add: I meant to ask if they could use blankets too. The only thing I have to hand immediately is my Moorland blanket, but I could send that if suitable.

Last edited by Ann on Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:51 pm 

It is such a shame we can't help more. Makes me want to start the jumper challenge again. If only we could get them there. Makes me so grateful I was born here. Thanks for the photos Kate.

Boys jumpers between us in 2016. A MASSIVE 500 +.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

I've already filled a box, it only weighed 8kg but was quite big, 60*40*30 cm it would be harder to find a bigger box. Cost £21
It has 5 big blankets, a lot of adult hats, a beautiful pair of socks that Hazel Mary made plus some gloves.
It's very hot there at the moment but the winters are very cold. We went out to Romania in the late 1990s for work, I've never known cold like it.
If anyone has anything they would like to go to Muddy Footprint please send to me, I will be starting another box for them.
Yes Pat I often think how lucky we are to be born in the UK, there really is nowhere like it despite what is going on at the moment...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:07 pm 

I am shocked to see how these people are living, it's truly heart breaking.

I am going to start some warm knits and wait until we get some more information about sending the parcel. I would be happy to make a donation to posting charges.

EMBELLISHER TWINNIE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:34 pm 

Thanks for letting us know you've filled a box, Kate. I'll send my Moorland blanket off to you, along with a donation to help with postage costs. Then I need to start making some warm clothing for their winters.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Ann, I am sure your blanket will be much loved :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:15 pm 

I'm with Loz, I would like to make a donation for the postage, it's heart breaking to see such poverty.

Love Mo xxx

Heavenly Twinnie

Shires Group Pictures http:[email protected]/?saved=1

My Flickr site http:[email protected]/

Last edited by Maureen S on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:03 am 

I have a box almost full, that can go. I will try and get it collected by the end of the week.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Thank you to everyone who has read this, I have to admit it has hit me quite hard, a photo speaks a thousand words as they say... I messaged Nancy to say there was a box on it's way and got another reply

Thank you so much ..yes the winters here are very very harsh here and blankets awesome. We are saving everything up now for the winter hand out which this year we will do with the Church people who know where the biggest need is ... . The summers are fine as the kids run about in not much else but pants ad sometimes not even that . The adults too are fine in the summer and work tirelessly in their bits of ground to raise food for the winter.

Two old ladies (both in their 80's ) we know of who live together walk to a communal well every morning for water for the day. They carry the container between them back to their home which is a good half mile and do this at 5am before the heat starts. But this is quite normal for people here . Either they have a well in their garden or they walk to the local water supply . Outside toilets here are the norm, some just a hole in the garden some actually have a hut round the hole !!

The EU has connected mains water to all streets here even in the villages which are deserted !! BUT it costs to connect up to your house and then it costs money they don't have to pay for a mains water supply every month . So a bit pointless really as the water hydrants lie dormant along all the streets in the villages and the roads they dug up to lay them have not been relaid well so the horses and carts have challenges getting to and fro.

Once I stop rushing about I will maybe do a weekly story on the website " the day in the life of an Eastern European " .. People in the west have no idea how hard life is for the people in the East.

Thank you again

I will keep the photos coming to you .

Nancy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:53 am 

Life can we so hard for some folk, I will remember them, when I start to feel sorry for myself. x Thanks Kate x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:00 pm 

Thanks Kate - at least if the summers are hot we have time to start knitting/crocheting some warm clothing before the start of winter in Bulgaria. I'll try to get a parcel off to you this week with my blanket and a couple of other bits. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

I've started a new challenge for this charity, hope you will join in :)