It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Loving Hands Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.

By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, Click here to join our community today!

If you are already registered you will now need to log in to be able to see the whole forum!

Post subject: Spring Challenges 20/1/13 to 20/4/13
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:12 pm 

LOVING HANDS
SPRING CHALLENGES
20/1/13 TO 20/4/13

Another challenge is over and time to launch a new one – time seems to run away from me more and more the older I get ;0). I have been trying hard to find some good ideas to create these new challenges so hopefully I will not disappoint ;0).

I have come to the conclusion that – as we are changing the way we do things (direct donations instead of everything ending up here etc) it might be time to have a different way to do the challenges as well.

So here we go;0)

1. I thought it would be nice to revisit the SANDS blankets challenge – I know a lot of you like to make these blankets so let us see how many we can make this time;0) If you are posting them direct to SANDS please pop onto the forum and let us know how many you send ;0) The new address for delivering them to is Julie Barker, 15 Boston Road, Kirton, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE20 1DT. I will add the pattern for these at the end of the challenge list.

2. Thought I would give you a theme rather than a direct challenge – SHEEP - could be toy sheep or lambs, hats with sheep on, clothing with sheep on, hot water bottle covers, tea cosies – all with a sheep theme ;0) I have been on Ravelry just now having a look and they have a lot of fun sheep themed items in knitting and crochet so why not have a look and see what you can come up with! Either make the toys, clothes etc and donate direct or send them in here to me ;0) Have fun with this one! Don’t forget to add pictures of your sheepy creations on the forum for all to see!

3. Greenfields Africa were looking for light summer clothing for the kids – the stitchers could be sewing lovely summer dresses, skirts, shorts etc for the wee ones (from 2 to 14 I would think) and knitters/crocheters could be making some vest tops, short sleeve cardies etc the address for direct donations is at the bottom of the forum or Helen at our Stafford and Whitchurch groups is happy to take things along for them as well.

4. As it seems we are in for a long and very hard winter then please continue to make warm clothing items and blankets for the Homeless Shelters, Seamen, the elderly and also our animal friends. I can see that every stitch will be more than welcome – stitchers could work on quilts and dog coats/pet beds, I am sure you will all have lots of ideas to spread a little warmth and happiness during the cold months ahead.

OK – I haven’t asked for a very inspiring collection this time but I hope I have motivated you all into action. I will hopefully have a nice new crop of charities and organisations to add to our lists very soon as I have been contacting lots of them for advice re what they want etc.

Good Luck and have fun xxxx

Here is the correct SANDS blanket pattern as promised ;;;;

This lace border makes the easy blanket, very special. Use the lace all around for a shawl, or on the top edge only for a crib or pram blanket. The blanket is our basic pattern. This pattern knits to approx. a 24" square. It will always come square.
250gm of Double Knit Wool in white or cream and size 8 (UK) - 4 mm needles

BASIC BLANKET

Cast on 1 stitch
Next row :- Make the one stitch into two stitches.
Next row :- Knit 1, into the next stitch make another,3 stitches on needle.
Continue to knit, ALWAYS knit the first stitch and into the 2nd stitch make another.
Only increase this way at the BEGINNING of a row
Continue until you have worked 20 inches if you are putting border all the way round, 22 inches if you are just putting borders top and bottom or 24 inches if it is to go just on the top edge or no border at all (this should ensure you can complete the blanket with your 250 grms).
Knit 1 row plain.
Next row:- Knit 1, Knit 2 together, Knit to end of row. Continue this way, always knit the 1st stitch then decrease into the next stitch by knitting 2 together until 1 stitch remains. You should now have a neat square.

LACE EDGING

Using Double Knit and size 8 (UK) needles Cast on 8 stitches
Row 1 ( Wrong side) Slip 1, Knit 1,(Yarn fwd knit 2 tog)twice, Yarn fwd Knit 2 (9sts)
Rows 2, 4, and 6. Slip 1 Knit to the end.
Row 3. Slip 1, knit 2 (yarn fwd knit 2 tog) twice. Yarn fwd Knit 2 (10sts)
Row 5. Slip 1, knit 3 (yarn fwd knit 2 tog) twice. Yarn fwd Knit 2 (11sts)
Row 7. Slip 1, knit 4 (yarn fwd knit 2 tog)twice . Yarn fwd Knit 2 (12sts)
Row 8. Slip 1, Knit 11 sts
Row 9. Slip 1 Knit 11 sts Row 10 cast off 4 Sts Knit to the end ( 8sts) These 10 rows form the pattern. Continue in pattern until it is long enough to fit one edge, or all around, as you wish. Sew onto the blanket

Ooops - nearly forgot - I promised to let you all have funds update with each challenge - we did really well last few months with lots of money being raised by lots of people - Sheila and Barra ladies, Julia and Kathy and Shetland Islanders, donations from members sent in to HQ, Easyfundraising, Raffles, Coffee Morning, Christmas Fayre and Make a Difference Day etc,. with all of the boxes and parcels safely delivered before Christmas and the ones I have packed and despatched this last two weeks and a nice load of inks, paper, stamps, envelopes etc added to the store shelves we are doing so well and still have £874.35 in the funds - hopefully cost of postage will be far less now as I add to the list so the funds will be great to keep stationery etc topped up and allow me to send more updates and information out to postal members who miss out so much with not being able to be part of this forum. I will let you know how it goes over the next three months and hopefully we will be able to keep a bit extra in the pot for emergencies and urgent requests that way we should always be able to meet demands as we get them ;0) Thanks to all who helped and are helping to keep us solvent - it really means a lot to be able to do things without having to stop and think if we can afford to ;0)

(Gaffer no more but still peeping in xx)

Post subject: Re: Spring Challenges 20/1/13 to 20/4/13
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:36 pm 

Thanks Lou - the sheep idea sounds fun!

Sarah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:48 pm 

Something there for everyone to get their teeth into.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:49 pm 

That was what I hoped - I kniow everyone loves the sheepie tea cosies I have been selling for the funds ;0)

It will be great fun watching to see what everyone else comes up with - sheep bunting? sheep pencil cases? golf club covers? who knows what you all might decide xxxx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:00 pm 

Love the new challenges Lou - especially the 'sheepy' one.
EWE had a good idea there - not BAA.D at all.
We will all be FLOCKING to be HERD on this one.
I am sure you will soon be getting lots of parcels RAMMED with lovely WOOLY items.
We will be having a FIELD day for sure .......... :lol:

http://mariannaslazydaisydays.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/marianna-mel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

You caught me on the hop Lou! I thought tomorrow was the day for the new challenges to be revealed! Good choices, there is something for everyone, I can see a blanket or two coming back from our Spanish road trip at the end of the month.....

Loving Hands HQ and Shires Group (Stafford) member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:47 pm 

For those of you missing loopy Angel Bear already,nhere is a pattern for the spring challenges...
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L10204B.html?iP=1

My Picture Stream

Welly Group Photos: 2016, Older Albums

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:48 pm 
Well done Lou, another great challenge. I am not sure if I can make anything with the sheep but should be able to make blankets and some kids clothing. Good luck everybody :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:07 pm 
Thanks Lou. Will be giving the blankets a try.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:53 pm 
Great challenges as always Lou.

I've been meaning to ask this but I keep forgetting. I have some balls of white fingering 80% acrylic/20% wool, non-machine washable yarn. Would SANDS accept blankets made from this? I'm thinking of doubling the yarn, but that would make it equivalent to worsted weight and the pattern calls for DK. Also I'm not sure if machine washable yarn is required.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:24 am 

Thanks Lou!
There's plenty here for the Desford group to tackle. I know some of us love sewing dresses and shorts and quilts and we've got more knitters in the group as well now.
Janet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:45 am 

Maggie - that wool will be perfect for sands blankets - no worries about what type of yarn used so acrylic mixes are perfectly good - these blankets go in the memory boxes given to bereaved parents ;0)

Marianna!!!! That was quick and very witty - LOL - I certainly left myself open to that one didnt I ;0) I am hoping to inspire lots of members to bring our their imagination and create all sorts here - I have seen everything from intarsia style jumpers or blankets with pictures of sheep knitted into them to crochet sheepy pencil toppers - so much choice and lots to inspire ;0)

Wendy thanks for reminder of angel bear pattern - I am sure we will all make one or two and smile remembering what a wonderful time we had during that challenge ;0)

Knew the stitchers would be happy with wee dresses and things to sew Janet ;0)

Hee hee - caught you all on the hop by managing to get this posted early - it was due to go on before I went to bed so you could all see it in time for the coffee morning today - I had to go out in the snow to take my boy to work last night and be up at 6 to go collect him again so wanted a head start ;0)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:55 am 

I was just thinking it was about time I started another SANDS blanket; I bought some DK specially a while back.

I already have a couple of summer dresses and 3 summer skirts that I made for DD last year and she wore about twice due to the weather. I can easily run up some more; they are very simple to make. I also have lots of odds and ends that need cutting into squares for patchwork covers - now I have my motivation to get it done.

Sheep sound good too; I like sheep.

What a good set of challenges!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:57 am 

If anyone still needs inspiration then here is the current wish list
wish-lists-t272.html
Just thought I would throw it into the mix. :)

Shires Group Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:00 am 

just updated the wish list last night as well Helen to remove some things that were no longer relevant and add in some new ones ;0)